2006/11/26

Advent Pro



Picked up this 2450 cubic inch pack for some ultra lightweight backpacking that’s been on closeout at several places including mgear.com. Being an adventure race pack it’s designed to quick packing and lashing, which really means too many zippers, bungee and mesh pockets to be a true ultra lightweight backpack. Despite all the extras Gregory was able to keep the weight down to 2lb 8 oz using a super lightweight pack material. After loading up the pack with 2 sleeping bags and two gallons of water, a stove and a few extra clothes pieces of clothing I pretty sure I could make it work for up to a week. Lack of an easy to reach water bottle pocket is the only real annoyance I’ve had so far. So I’m forced to use a hydration system. The newer version of this pack does away with the sleeping bag zipper and is 1 oz heavier, so pick up the closeout model if you think you might want one for backpacking.

3 comments:

MissScientistSF said...

I have the Fury (a lot like that one) and the Shasta from Gregory, and I love 'em. You should come do the Appalacian Trail with us someday!

rcpeters said...

I would love that, just need two months off :-)

Actually thinking of speed hiking the John Muir trail this summer if you guys want to do something a little shorter.

T said...

Awesome pack, Gregory's the best. I have the Z-Pack which I got for my trip to Costa Rica. Single aluminum stay does the job. Holds a bit mroe than the Advent but lacks water bottle pockets and the silnylon fabric. I added my own water bottle pockets however, so I guess I won't be returning it to REI any time soon. Oh beware of Deet, it eats away at the zipper flaps.